Marriage laws vary from state-to-state and sometimes by county. It is important that you do your homework to ensure you are complying with the laws of the state where the couple will be married. Open Road ministers officiate inspired ceremonies all over the United States daily.

On Behalf of the Couple

Officiant licensing and marriage licenses are most often administered and processed through the county clerk or recorders office in the county that the wedding will take place.

Be sure to do a little homework to help the happy couple comply with marriage laws. Most counties have the following information online:

  • Is there a waiting period? Some states require a waiting period. This waiting period is the number of days that a couple must wait from the receipt of the license to the day they marry.  
  • How long will the marriage license be valid? This is the timeframe in which the couple must be married after the license is issued.
  • How soon must the license be returned after the wedding? This is the amount of time, from the day the marriage license is signed, to the day it is returned to the appropriate authority.

Ministerial Requirements

Licensing Image Whole.png

When contacting the clerk, you can start with the following question:

"I am a minister of the Church of the Open Road, I will be officiating a wedding on [insert date] in [insert location]. In addition to completing and returning the marriage license within  [insert state]'s specifications, is there anything else that needs to be done for the marriage to be legally recorded?" 

STRAIGHT FORWARD. No Registration Required. 

[Open Road Recommendation: Ordination Essentials]

In these states you should still check with the local marriage authority (likely the county clerk) to be sure there are no additional actions that need to be taken to ensure a legally recorded marriage. While not typically required, It would be a good idea to have an ordination certificate handy. 

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida,Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Michigan,  Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Washington

WINDING PATH. Proof of Ordination or Registration Sometimes Required.

[Open Road Recommendation: Ordination Essentials and Letter of Good Standing]

In these states you may be asked for proof of ordination, which will be your Church of Open Road ordination certificate and in some cases a letter of good standing. If you are officiating a ceremony in a state in which you are a non-resident you may be asked to register.  

Connecticut, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Wisconsin, Wyoming

CURVES AHEAD. Registration Always Required.

[Open Road Recommendation: Ordination Essentials and Letter of Good Standing]

In these states you will be asked to register with the state. Registration requirements and process will vary by state. You will need your Church of Open Road ordination certificate and a letter of good standing. 

Arkansas, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Virginia, West Virginia